Thunder Tower Harley-Davidson®Rider's Edge
New Rider Course
- Friendly, enthusiastic Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) certified Instructors make learning a breeze.
- Classroom time gets you familiar with the bike, its controls and the inner workings of a Harley-Davidson dealership.
- Learn the basic motorcycling skills on the range with a Buell® Blast® provided by the dealership.
- Successful course completion may streamline your motorcycle licensing process and may help you get a discount on motorcycle insurance.
or Learn More
Skilled Rider Course
- Use your own bike (or a rental) and build your skills on a closed course rider training range.
- Enhance the following skills: control at low speeds, risk management, limited space maneuvers, cornering judgment, stopping quickly in a curve, swerving and stopping quickly, multiple curve maneuvers and surmounting objects.
- Successful course completion may help you get a discount on motorcycle insurance.
or Learn More
New Rider Course Overview
Thunder Tower is proud to offer the Rider's Edge® New Rider Course. The New Rider Course is a mixture of classroom time and range riding that delivers the basics of motorcycle operation in Harley-Davidson® style. It's taught by experts certified by both the Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and Harley-Davidson® to provide top notch instruction in a relaxed, fun environment. This course will provide you with 25 hours of expert instruction both in the classroom and on the range. We even provide you with a motorcycle to learn on! In the classroom, you'll get to know the motorcycle you'll be riding and learn the basics of rider safety skills. On the practice range, you´ll learn braking and turning, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles. We offer several schedules including both weekday and weekend courses. Please check our course listings for details.
Getting Your License:
Upon successful completion of the written and skilled evaluation of the course, you'll get a MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card. The card may also score you a discount on motorcycle insurance! Contact your insurance provider for details.
If you have a valid South Carolina motorcycle learners permit, pass the class and obtain the completion card, you are eligible for on-site South Carolina DMV testing by one of our third-party administrators. This allows you to take the riding portion of the SCDMV test on the same motorcycle and range you learned - and in a friendly, non-rushed atmosphere.
What You´ll Need:
For the New Rider Course, you'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle. If you plan to take advantage of our on-site SCDMV testing, you will also have to have your SC Motorcycle Learner's Permit.
For the riding portion, Thunder Tower will provide you with a Buell Blast motorcycle for the course. You'll have to bring:
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements Eyewear
Skilled Rider Course Overview
Take your riding to a new level with the Rider's Edge® Skilled Rider Course. Created for experienced riders, it offers advanced tips and techniques that help you own the road. The course runs 1-2 days and is built on the curriculum of the MSF Basic RiderCourse 2 Suite. It's taught by experts certified by both the Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and Harley-Davidson®. Upon successful completion of the course, you'll earn a MSF Basic RiderCourse 2 completion card that may qualify you for a discount on motorcycle insurance. Contact your insurance provider for details.
The course focuses on improving the following skills:
- Control at low speeds
- Risk Management
- Limited space maneuvers
- Cornering judgment
- Swerving and stopping quickly on straights and in curves
- Multiple curve maneuvers and surmounting objects
What you will need:
- A street-ready motorcycle (your own or a rental)
- Motorcycle endorsement, permit or license
- Proof of valid motorcycle insurance
PLEASE NOTE - Payment for all classes is NON-REFUNDABLE. Classes may be rescheduled to a later date, however no monies will be returned.